Updated May 26, 2020 at 5:20 p.m.
The College of Arts and Letters Reopening Plan shall be followed as detailed herein. Any changes made to this plan that are necessary due to environmental conditions shall supersede any previous versions. The COAL Reopening Plan that is posted on this COAL webpage, including subsequent changes, will be operational. Faculty and staff are encouraged to review this COAL webpage as often as they deem necessary since that is where any changes to the COAL Reopening Plan will be reflected as they are made.
The goal of the COAL Reopening Plan is to facilitate faculty, students, staff, and others who are engaged in the academic process. The COAL Reopening Plan supports the University’s Return-to-Campus and Travel Policy by providing more detailed guidance specific to the reopening of Craig Hall, Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall. Because the University is utilizing a decentralized approach to reopening, other MSU buildings will have different plans. It is incumbent on individuals to learn and follow any and all building reopening plan(s) for which they may have a need for utilization.
The COAL Reopening Plan shall follow guidelines issued by the Springfield-Greene County Health Department and the University in effect at any point in time. This plan’s policies are in effect beginning at 12:01 a.m. on June 1, 2020 and will remain in effect until written notice of its termination is made public. The COAL Reopening Plan is necessarily fluid and may be updated at any time to reflect changing environmental conditions.
Building/Office Access and Guidelines
Buildings locked until late July
- Craig Hall will be unlocked on a limited basis for small group SOAR sessions beginning July 6; otherwise Craig Hall remains locked until July 20, 2020.
- Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall will all remain locked until July 27, 2020.
Offices begin reopening June 8
Beginning on June 8, 2020, offices in the COAL buildings will initiate a gradual, incremental reopening process, even while the buildings remain locked.
- Each department, support unit, and the Dean’s Office will post hours on a single door of entry into the respective office.
- The COAL Dean’s Office will be open from 8:00 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Wednesdays beginning on June 8, 2020. Before the end of June, the expectation will be that these hours expand to include partial opening Monday-Friday, and before the end of July the expectation is to have the Dean’s Office fully open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Departmental offices and support unit offices will determine their opening schedules and post days and times by June 8, 2020. The expectation is that normal business hours, i.e., 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday will be achieved by July 20, 2020, for the Dean’s Office and by July 27, 2020, for all departmental and support unit offices.
- At no time shall more than three people be present in the Dean’s Office or any departmental office through August 1, 2020, or until otherwise modified. Support unit offices may set their own limits for numbers of individuals present after August 1, 2020, again, in keeping with guidelines and orders in place at the time.
- This timeline is necessary to accommodate SOAR sessions that will be conducted virtually in June and with small groups in Craig Hall beginning on July 6, 2020. While this use of Craig Hall is necessary, access will continue to be restricted until Craig Hall is unlocked on July 20, and Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall are all opened on July 27, 2020.
Contact tracing June 8 – August 2
The COAL Reopening Plan will remain in effect until 12:01 a.m. on August 3, 2020. After that time faculty and staff may return to campus as necessary by working closely with immediate supervisors to ensure all guidelines and orders are followed. Individuals entering Craig Hall, Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall between June 8, 2020, and August 2, 2020, must keep track of the dates and times they access those buildings to facilitate contact tracing, should it become necessary.
Monitor and follow local health and University orders and guidelines
All Springfield-Greene County Health Department orders shall be followed as well as all University guidelines. Please consult all guidelines and orders, prior to returning to any portion of Craig Hall, Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall.
In addition, whenever the University releases guidelines pertaining to the wearing of masks, those guidelines must be followed, as well as all other University policies that might be developed over time.
Any variation in the COAL Reopening Plan will be communicated by Dean Shawn Wahl as soon as possible and include a written rationale for any change.
Department-level plans will be shared by the department head before June 1. If you have questions about building access, please contact your department head.
COAL Reopening Plan begins.
- Offices in Craig Hall, Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall begin opening with limited hours while these buildings remain locked.
- COAL Dean’s Office open 8-noon on Mondays and Wednesdays
- >Department offices post a schedule of reopening hours that reflect incremental increases until fully staffed throughout normal business hours.
Begin unlocking Craig Hall only during small group SOAR sessions
Craig Hall unlocked and the COAL Dean’s Office open 8-5, M-F
- Brick City, Siceluff Hall, Ellis Hall, and Wehr Band Hall will join Craig Hall as being unlocked and open during normal business hours.
- Departmental offices open 8-5, M-F
COAL Reopening Plan ends. Faculty and staff may return to campus as necessary under the guidance of immediate supervisors.
[NOTE: All guidelines and orders shall be observed at all times.]